Unfortunately, this sight is all too common for pest controllers: these cables have been chewed on by squirrels. Not only is this a huge fire risk, anyone entering this loft space and inadvertently touching the exposed cores could suffer electric shock. In a confined space and quite probably on their own, an individual in this situation could face a very uncertain future.
The fix: we located and sealed off the squirrel’s entrance hole, removed any remaining animals in the loft space and made sure the homeowner was fully aware of the secondary issue. In addition, we know a fantastic electrician who is familiar with rodent damage and working in the conditions they create. They will replace the damaged cables as soon as possible and restore the circuits to a safe state.